10th October 2022 - World Homeless Day
World Homeless Day is marked to draw attention to homeless people’s needs both locally across America and internationally.
Facts about American Homelessness
Facts about Global Homelessness
Top 5 Cities USA - people experiencing Homelessness
USA, New York
- Over 61,000 people are homeless in New York.
- This includes 14,621 families with 21,419 children accessing shelters.
- There has been a 64% increase of people sleeping in shelters over the past 10 years.
(Source: Coalition for the Homeless July 2019)
USA, Los Angeles
- LA is has the second highest city for the number of homeless people in the USA.
- L.A. County’s homeless population at 58,936 and LA city has 36,300 homeless people.
- Homelessness was up by 12 % in the last year in LA County and up 16 % in the City of Los Angeles.
(Source: City of LA 2019)
Seattle / King County
- Third highest homeless population in the USA.
- 12,112 homeless people on any given day.
San Diego City & County
- The fourth highest homeless population in the USA.
- 8,576 homeless people everyday.
Source: HUD 2019
Causes of Homelessness
Reasons for people being homeless can vary across countries but typically are due to:
Backpack Beds (swags) SAVE LIVES
Backpack Bed for Homeless partners with homeless services across Australia to distribute our study proven Backpack Beds to street sleeping homeless without shelter.
We are not government funded and rely on the support of everyday Australians to help give back safety to people living on the streets. Your donation can help someone survive a night on the streets by protecting them from the harsh weather climates that can happen at night.