10th October 2020 - World Homeless Day
World Homeless Day is marked to draw attention to homeless people’s needs both locally across Australia and internationally.
Facts about Australian Homelessness
Facts about Global Homelessness
Top 5 Cities Worldwide - people experiencing Homelessness
- Manila is the city with the highest estimated rate of homelessness in the world with 3 million homeless.
- There are a total of 4.5 million homeless people throughout the Phillipines.
- In 2017 the goverment committed to building 800,000 homes over five years.
(source: Reuters 2018)
USA, New York
- Over 61,000 people are homeless in New York.
- This includes 14,621 families with 21,419 children accessing shelters.
- There has been a 64% increase of people sleeping in shelters over the past 10 years.
(Source: Coalition for the Homeless July 2019)
USA, Los Angeles
- LA is has the second highest city for the number of homeless people in the USA.
- L.A. County’s homeless population at 58,936 and LA city has 36,300 homeless people.
- Homelessness was up by 12 % in the last year in LA County and up 16 % in the City of Los Angeles.
(Source: City of LA 2019)
Mexico, Mexico City
- Estimates are between 15,000 - 30,000 homeless people
- With at least 15,000 of them being children.
- There are an estimated 20+ million homeless people across India.
- Mumbai has around 20,000 homeless individuals sleeping on the street.
Causes of Homelessness
Reasons for people being homeless can vary across countries but typically are due to:
Critical for survival. Dignity and the life saving Backpack Bed. Homeless can happen to anyone
Trevor slept on the street in Brisbane in a Backpack Bed. Why the Backpack Bed is the best product for homeless sleeping on the streets. Backpack Beds save the lives of homeless sleeping on our streets. Used by 750+ homeless agencies - across 8 countries.
Backpack Beds (swags) SAVE LIVES
Backpack Bed for Homeless partners with homeless services across Australia to distribute our study proven Backpack Beds to street sleeping homeless without shelter.
We are not government funded and rely on the support of everyday Australians to help give back safety to people living on the streets. Your donation can help someone survive a night on the streets by protecting them from the harsh weather climates that can happen at night.
What you can do on World Homeless Day 2020
How The Homeless Backpack Bed (Swag) Works
Street tough material
Full Body Protection
4 season summer & winter
Fabric + Mattress 190cm x 55cm
Water & Wind Proof
Protects against winter chills
Full Body Mosquito Net
Stop bites on hot summer nights
Adjustable shoulder & chest straps
4 pockets - store over 20kg
Secret lockable pocket
With brass key lock
You can make a difference for World Homeless Day